Friday, March 26, 2010

Oh What a day!

Last night Addyson woke up not feeling good at all in the middle of the night. Today she was having cold chills and running temp. So I took her to see her regular doctor (Dr. Vincent). Because of all the medicine she is on, he wanted to get her white blood cell count and get an xray to make sure the Port wasn't infected. So we went over to Mercy Hospital and they had to call around to find someone that knew how to access a port. They finally found someone after an hour. Seriously are there not patients in this hospital that have ports?? Then when they tried to access the port, Guess what? Yep you guess it, it didn't work!!! So they tried it twice and finally I said please just use her arm. She was hysterical! No wonder Addyson wants nothing to do with doctors and nurses. I wouldn't either if I was her. So they finally got some blood from her arm. Yay. Then down to x-ray. Luckily that was not as long as the two and half hours that took to get her blood drawn. So now we just have to wait for the results. We were told if her white blood cells were too low they would have to admit her. Just want we wanted was her in the hospital around sick people.
Thankfully around 5:30, Dr. Vincent called me and told me everything came back fine. So no hospital. Yay!! But she did say Addyson had a urinary Tract Infection. She wasn't complaining at all about this. So he and I were both surprised but at least we can get it under control now. So Dr. Vincent called in the prescription. I went to go pick it up at Walgreens. And by know this pharmacist knows us well and is always asking about her. Anyways he asked if I checked with Dr. Jarvis about this medication. And I said "NO" and he said " you may want to". So I called Dr. Jarvis and he said "absolutely not". I guess those two medicines would be very bad together. So now I had to get ahold of Dr. Vincent after hours to get her on something else. Well its 8:24pm and finally something that she can have is being called in. Oh what a long and stressful day.
Now on Monday, We are going to worry about her Port. I am just praying Mercy didn't know how to handle a port and that Mavia will get it to work. Because I am not putting Addyson back under to first the port for the fourth time. Just not happening. I guess we will wait and see what happens on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through all of this! I will tell you I have learned to make the family doctor talk to the rheumatologist when giving meds. We have been through this. I sometimes call myself and make sure things are being handled correctly. It is not a fun disease and it feels like this awful rollercoaster you cannot get off of for the first ... forever. I still get nervous anytime she runs a fever or says her legs hurt or anything that is out of the ordinary.

    Just remember that we are here going through it with you. The CureJM board is great to help you and ease your worries. Also, there was a thread recently about kids getting these Urinary Tract infections with the meds. I remember reading about it. I like to just read and learn from what is happening to everyone else!

    Hang in there! Things will eventually get better. It will be 2 months Friday since we have seen a doctor. That is the longest we have went in the last 15 months! We go in then and Mavia will do a blood draw. Kya won't be happy, but she will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks kalee! I will have to get on the CureJM board. I haven't been on there in awhile! Congrats on going two months with out seeing a doctor. I can't wait until Addyson gets to that point.

    ReplyDelete